At No 1 Home Improvements we pride ourselves on the first class service that we can offer our customers and we are more than happy to be able to help you with any planning permission or building regulations you may need for your home renovations.
You don’t always require planning permission for a conservatory, orangery etc, as every house is different from the other. For instance your neighbours will have different requirements regarding size, shape and even the use of their conservatory.
So, how do you know when you may or may not require planning permission?
Well, if your new conservatory meets with the criteria listed here, you may not need planning permission.
When you may not need planning permission:
- Your conservatory doesn’t include raised platforms, verandas or balconies.
- Your conservatory doesn’t go higher than the highest part of your roof.
- It doesn’t go over 4 metres in height.
- Your conservatory doesn’t obstruct or front any public road.
- Your conservatory doesn’t cover more than half the amount of land around your house.
- If you live in a semi detached house your conservatory or orangery doesn’t extend more than 3 metres. If you’re in a detached house your conservatory doesn’t extend over 4 metres.
- You will need listed building consent, if you live in a listed building.
As you can see from the above, planning permission is fairly straightforward but sometimes it isn’t as simple as this. Other regulations may be needed for certain situations.
Applying for planning permission
If you apply for planning permission yourself you will have to pay £172.00 in order to apply. You will then have to wait for the response to your application from your local authority. You will then have to pay more money for a full survey for your house, to find out whether the plans can actually be achieved. You will also have to pay for an architect to draw up these plans.
Even though you would have gone through this entire process there are no guarantees your application will get approved.
Let us do the hard work instead
Here at No 1 Home Improvements we would be more than happy to help you with your planning permission. Why go through all of this hassle, when we can do the hard work for you?
If you choose us to create your new orangery, conservatory etc we will handle everything to do with planning permission, saving you the time and hassle.
If you’re looking for a show stopping conservatory or orangery that’s big and impressive then chances are, you’re going to need planning permission and we would be more than pleased to handle this for you.
What about Building Regulations?
This is another area that will need careful consideration, when it comes to any extensions. However, there are certain criteria where you may not need building regulations including:
- Your new conservatory, orangery etc is less than 30 square metres on ground level and in floor area.
- Your extension has its own heating system that’s independent and has separate controls for temperature.
- Your window glazing and electrics, comply with existing building regulations.
If you’re still not sure, check out the Planning Portal
If you’re thinking about adding a conservatory, orangery or a brick built extension to your home then things can get quite stressful when it comes to planning permission and building regulations. If you dream of a stunning orangery but are unsure whether or not you will need planning permission then take a look at the Planning Portal. This is your one stop destination for everything to do with planning and building regulations.
Get in touch with us
We hope we have helped you learn more about planning permission and building regulations, for your home renovations but if you have any other questions at all, please do not hesitate to get in touch with us.
Here at No 1 Home Improvements we pride ourselves on the first class service we can offer our customers and we would be delighted to help you when it comes to your home renovations, helping you create a beautiful place, the whole family will love spending quality time in.